Sunday, October 19, 2014

Becoming Grown Up: (or, Adventures in Shopping)

They say that this is part of adulthood:
Learning to go to the store
All by yourself.
Walking 6 blocks and taking
2 trains
surrounded by people
but still all alone.
Somehow this is an accomplishment.

Did they forget to mention
the crippling fear in the
pit of my stomach that makes
me feel sick,
my hands shaking as I ask the cashier
to “ring this item up separate, please,
I’d like to pay for it
in cash?”

I have to remind myself
To breathe
calmly, deeply
Walk down the aisles slowly,
Don’t worry,
If you are careful
you won’t run into her, so
just take your time.

No one said that my hands wouldn’t
stop shaking for 2 hours
afterwards,
Or that a mug of tea
wouldn’t calm the bile in my
stomach
or quench the dryness that covers
the back of my throat

No one said that I’d want to lie on my bed
for the rest of the night,
unable to decide
what book to
read,
Or if I even want to read at all
since my head is still pounding
and I can’t think straight.

Still, I guess, somehow,
I am one step closer to living
on my own,
“all grown up”.
But isn’t the best thing you can do
when you are scared
is to ask for (just a little)
help?
~C.R. Sutton

No comments:

Post a Comment